Obama commemorates Veterans Day, Note Obamacare saves lives by helping people with preexisting conditions, mental health, PTSD, another movement involves jobs for returning vets, NBC videos.
Returning Vets With PTSD "Ripe"/Vulnerable To Criminal Harassment Networks - CNN iReport (article link)
An article about the returning vets with PTSD being vulnerable to criminal harassment networks, organized crime.
Could Rescued Miners Suffer From PTSD? - ABC News (video)
UH Case Medical Center's Jeffrey Janata, PhD: The stress of trauma can linger.
U.S. new rules allow claim if VA doctor confirms symptoms and experience support a PTSD diagnosis - Reuters (article link)
- The veteran had to associate a specific experience with symptoms -- something many complained was impossible to do.
- Studies confirm Gulf War vets suffer disproportionately from PTSD and other psychiatric illnesses.
- VA estimates that more than 400,000 vets are currently receiving PTSD compensation.
- Research estimated about 18.5% of the U.S. troops sent to Iraq and Afghanistan show signs of either PTSD or depression.
PTSD may be especially worrisome in kids because it can interfere with their normal development - Reuters (article link)
- At their 3-month check-up, 19 of the 358 kids were diagnosed with PTSD.
- Severe bites were most at risk for the disorder - 10 out of 38 with PTSD.
- The care the kid gets after an injury can play a role whether a kid gets PTSD.
- "certainly speaks to the need to attend to the psychological impact of these kids of injuries."
The U.S. military is experimenting with aroma therapy, acupuncture and other unorthodox methods to treat PTSD - Reuters (article link)
- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates touted possible treatments for PTSD.
- The disorder can cause flashbacks, edginess and emotional numbness.
- The Pentagon has seen a sharp increase in the number of soldiers suffering from PTSD during and after long deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Known as the party drug ecstasy - to talk therapy may help patients cope with symptoms of PTSD - Reuters (article link)
- The drug appears to reduce the fear of engaging with painful memories, he added, as all patients receiving MDMA voluntary recounted their trauma while under its influence.
Review confirms PTSD, other syndromes in Gulf vets - Reuters (article link)
"seemingly related symptoms, including persistent fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, memory problems, headache, bodily pains, disturbances of sleep, as well as other physical and emotional problems."
Use of cannabinoids could help PTSD patients - EurekAlert (article link)
- Dr. Akirav and Ganon-Elazar also examined hormonal changes in the course of the experiment and found that synthetic marijuana prevents increased release of the stress hormone that the body produces in response to stress.
- According to Dr. Akirav, the results of this study show that cannabinoids can play an important role in stress-related disorders. "The results of our research should encourage psychiatric investigation into the use of cannabinoids in post-traumatic stress patients," she concludes.
PTSD Post-traumatic stress disorder Definition - Mayo Clinic (article link)
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety disorder that's triggered by a traumatic event. You can develop post-traumatic stress disorder when you experience or witness an event that causes intense fear, helplessness or horror.
Definition, symptoms, causes, risk factors, complications, preparing for your appointment, tests and diagnosis, treatments and drugs, coping and support, and prevention.
PTSD - Survivors of Flight 1549 talk about PTSD, Dr S Gupta - CNN (video)
PTSD - "when treating PTSD something people often rely on is immersion therapy, taking people back to the site of the trauma..."
-- linked to fear and deconditioning --